Why me? Why State?
WHY ME? WHY STATE?
On Nov. 2, 1957, just a few weeks shy of my 9th birthday, I became a lifelong Miss. State Bulldog fan ... actually we were more often called the Maroons back then. I was raised cheering for the hometown Jones County Junior College Bobcats, a juco powerhouse that played in the Jr. Rose Bowl in 1955 and which ironically had given State arguably its biggest star until the arrival of Dak Prescott well over a half century later. My dad, who was a graduate of West Tennessee State Teacher's College (now the University of Memphis) but had a master's from Miss. State, used to read me the exploits of football teams and players of all Mississippi college teams and players. One player of note was Paige Cothren, an outstanding kicker for [gulp] Ole Miss. I was so enamored with his exploits that I'd whine, "Daddy, I just have to go and see Paige Cothren kick a football!" Without my knowledge (and perhaps my mom's either -- you see, my folks were poor Miss. school people, and my mom was an even tighter Depression-era spender than my dad) Daddy procured tickets to a Nov. 2 doubleheader in old Hinds Memorial Stadium in Jackson, MS between Miss. State and Tulane that afternoon and the immortal Paige Cothren and Ole Miss taking on Houston that night. (Hinds Memorial Stadium was the smaller, wooden bleacher predecessor of Mississippi Memorial Stadium , which became known still later as Veterans Memorial Stadium, host to the vast majority of "home" games for both State and Ole Miss from the early '60's until the early '90's.) Somehow on that 60 mile trip to Jackson I managed to avoid wetting my pants with excitement! Paige Cothren!! First up though the Maroons with an impressive quarterback named Billy Stacy took on then SEC foe Tulane Green Wave, quarterbacked by Richie Petitbon and led by halfback Claude "Boo" Mason. (Both Stacy and Petitbon went on to become stars in the NFL as defensive backs -- nor surprising since college players in those days played both offense and defense.) As the Famous Maroon Band belted out "Hail State" and the cowbells rang, State manhandled the Greenies 27-6. Stacy intercepted a pass lying flat on his back. There was a brief fight among players; State won it too. I was hooked! I took the program home and learned "Hail State," made my dad promise to buy me a cowbell and to take me to another State game. Oh, Paige Cothren and Ole Miss? After a big day of cheering the Maroons and running around on the Millsaps Golf Course, which became our traditional parking spot for Jackson games in the new stadium, I fell asleep in my daddy's lap early in the first quarter of the Ole Miss vs. Houston game ... and have yet to see Paige Cothren kick a football. I awoke the next morning in my bed a committed Mississippi State fan and have never looked back.
Comments
Post a Comment